How to Promote Diversity, Inclusion and Racial Equity in the Workplace
In recent years, US companies have made efforts to cultivate diverse, equitable, and inclusive work environments. Many companies doubled down on their commitments and attempted to accelerate progress in DEI following the murder of George Floyd in May 2020. However, dismantling systemic racism will take time–and for real change to happen, there must be willingness and commitment from business leaders to shift the paradigm. The ACT Report focuses on the tech industry–with its expansive influence and seemingly infinite resources–and how historically, tech culture has not been accessible to many people from underrepresented groups. The tech industry is predominately made up of white men. For the tech industry to improve, tech companies need to individually and collectively commit to change.
Tips for Promoting Diversity and Racial Equity in the Workplace
If you’re a tech company leader wondering how to promote diversity and racial equity in your workplace, start by considering the following:
- Understand what the terms diversity, equity, and inclusion really mean. From here, you can identify your business’s problem areas.
- Survey your employees. They can provide you with information about your workplace you may not have been aware of. Plus, they may offer solutions to improve your company’s DEI. Hold yourself accountable. As a business leader, it’s important to be transparent about how and why you want to improve your company.
- Designate a safe space. You want to encourage your workers to be open and honest about their experiences at your tech company. Remind them that it’s safe to talk to you about their concerns. If you’re curious as to how to promote racial equity, it starts with psychological safety and awareness in the workplace.
- Train. Training can open the eyes of employees that don’t understand the importance of diversity, equity, and inclusion in the workplace. It will also hold your employees more accountable for their behaviors and actions at work.
- Provide a wealth of resources. Your HR department likely has plenty of resources on DEI that they can share with your employees. As a tech business leader, it’s important to keep learning about DEI. Share ideas for improvement based on the resources.
- Create annual equity reports. If you’re wondering how to promote diversity, an equity report will reveal your business’s weak spots. This way, you can identify action items your company should pursue to improve its DEI.
Connect With Us Today
If you want to learn how to promote racial equity and diversity in the workplace consider the tips outlined above. Connect with us to learn more today at firstname.lastname@example.org.